There are times when certain straightforward or simple issues cause advanced issues. Refined carbs cause a spike in insulin levels in the body. Fried meals and items rich in sugar are laden with the easy carb to cause a quick spike of insulin. If you consume processed carbs in excess, says the dietician Gillian Mc. Keith, it can lead to weight problems, diseases like diabetes, heart problems, PCOS, and so it is mandatory to refrain from consuming refined carbs. But, how to know if the diet is rich in the refined carb? Let’s find out.
Here is the list of items in refined carbs:
- White rice
- White bread
- Cookies and biscuits
- Refined flour
- Snacks and wafers
- White sugars
- Pastries and cakes
- Aerated drinks
- Energy drinks
- Processed food
- Fried or mashed white potatoes
- Milk powder
What is refined carb?
The processed carb rich in minerals, vitamins, nutrients and minus fiber is termed as a refined carb. Complex carbs are dietary fibers good for health and digest slowly. The molecular structure is complex, and so they are hard to digest. Thus, there is no sugar or insulin level spike in the blood. Some of the examples of advanced carbs or complex carbs are fruits, veggies, whole grains. If you consume more of simple carbs, there can be health anomalies. The list of refined carbs in the section may make you unhappy. You should avoid them or else there will be health complications, rising medical bills and frequent doctor visits.
How are they bad for health?
Refined carbs are extremely bad for health, as stated already. The following are the reasons to avoid refined carbs:
- They are low in nutrients, low in energy and the dietary value is zero. The bran is eliminated from the grain while processing it. So, ultimately, refined carbs have no energy value as such.
- It causes a spike in blood sugar level and insulin level. Here the energy and glycemic index is high. Advanced carbs have less of glycemic index.
- If the blood sugar level is made to rise and you are given to consuming refined carbs frequently, you may have diabetes. Your physique will become insulin-resistant if you eat refined carbs continuously.
- It leads to weight gain as the food items are rich in calories
- You will accumulate a lot of belly fat during the process
- There may be gut problems and digestive issues
Therefore, it is dangerous to consume processed carbs and refined carbs.