As a habit , we often can’t resist from scrolling the screens of our smartphones frequently or more often than none, our work compels us to stare at our computer screens for long duration. Whilst we join the gym or go for regular brisk walks for our physical well being, we often sideline a vital part of our body – our eyes.
We fail to give a much-needed rest to our eyes and not only that? We often ignore ‘feeding’ our eyes specific food items that would keep them healthy.
Here is a list of food items which one must incorporate in our daily diet to keep our eye-sight nourished.
- Carrots – Carrots are one of the essential vegetables for keeping your eyes healthy. It has higher level of beta carotene, which is responsible for the good health of your eyes and also for the retina.
- Nuts and Legumes – Both contain significant levels of omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E. Both elements help keep the eye immune to age-related eye diseases. They also help improve ones vision over if consumed regularly over a long period of time.
- Eggs – Eggs contain two necessary enzymes named Lutein and Zeaxanthin, these enzymes provide our eyed with a much-needed nutrition. Eggs also contain zinc. Zinc helps prevent the risk of muscular degeneration and helps improve vision.
- Almonds – Almonds are beneficial for your eyes in the long run. They provide the right amount of nutrition to the eye and they too work at reducing macular degeneration with which is related to aging. Eat a handful of almond every morning to get amazing results!
- Green leafy vegetables – Leafy green vegetables not only reduce the macular degeneration but also benefits the eye with the help of antioxidants. They help prevent cell damage and work at improve ones vision.
- Sweet potatoes – sweet potatoes are rich in beta carotene. The Vitamin A in sweet potatoes is beneficial and helps the eyes see better.
- Broccoli – Not only does broccoli help keep the heart healthy, it also protects the eye from cell damage and prevents age-related problems. This vegetable has a high Vitamin C content as well as lutein and zeaxanthin which again, prevents loss of vision and also slows down macular degeneration.
- Wheat Germ – Enriched with great levels of Vitamin E, wheat germ is also known for its levels of antioxidants. It protects the cells present in the eye from damage and keeps your vision intact for a long time. We definitely recommend that you add wheat germ to your diet.
- Tomatoes – Carotenoids that are present in large numbers in the tomatoes, provide a good dose of nutrition to the eyes. Tomatoes also have lycopene that benefits the eye in several ways. Carotenoids and lycopene help protect he retina from damage and also work at enhancing ones vision.
- Salmon – The rich Omega-3 fatty acid present in salmon is a great nutrient for the eyes. It reduces the chances of your eyes getting diagnosed with any disease. It also has Vitamin D that triggers good health.
So here are the top 10 nutritious foods that you must add to your diet to keep your eyes healthy and and well fed.
While we are at it, not a bad idea to take your eyes off from your smartphones and computer screens once in a while and engage in some eye exercises. Close them and cup them with the palm of your hands. Give them some relief. After all, they are your friend for life!