Once you have decided to practice Yoga as a way to embrace mental well being and a healthy lifestyle, one should also know the different benefits of yoga and types.
While the practice of Yoga is a way to connect with yourself with the Universe, there are dozens of physical benefits. Practicing yoga, the right way can help you in attaining your fitness goals.
Yoga certainly improves blood circulation, muscle toning, posture and aids in recuperating from pain. Practicing some specific asanas can be a good cardio exercise. Some asanas can aid the strengthening of muscles and improve flexibility. Even performing some basic asanas can aid in improving sleep.
A person who is likely to join yoga sessions soon should also know the different types of yoga and what can be achieved by practicing each of this.
Some of the important types of yoga styles are given below
- Hatha Yoga – According to spiritual guru Sadhguru, this type of yoga focuses on certain postures or asanas to attain and sustain higher dimensions of energy. It is advised for beginners to begin with hatha yoga to purify mind and body before one can start practicing higher forms of yoga.
- Iyengar Yoga – This form of yoga, designed by guru BKS Iyengar, prescribes the use of props to attain stability, agility, and flexibility. Those who have injuries or pain in bone joints are advised to practice this form.
- Kundalini Yoga – This school focuses on activating Kundalini energy. The energy stored in the lower spine can be activated with the chanting of mantras, meditation, yantra, and tantra. This practice is considered as one of the most difficult practice as it involves intense workouts.
- Ashtanga Yoga – Also known as the “eight limbs” path, this focuses on physically strenuous postures like Surya Namaskar and floor-based exercises. These are again an intense form of workouts, should be undertaken at a later stage. If you intend to tone your body, this one is a must.
- Vinyasa Yoga – Like Ashtanga yoga, this form also focuses on postures and breathing techniques. Excellent cardio, it increases heart rate, as postures changes swiftly.
- Bikram Yoga – Started by yoga guru Bikram Choudhury, the asanas can be performed only under certain environmental conditions (room temperature should be 40-degree centigrade and humidity should be 40 percent). There are about 26 postures that have to be performed in the set condition. The external heat condition will help in flushing out toxins. It is advisable to take a lot of fluids after practicing this form.